Friday 10 January 2014

Necessity has another child

Many will be familiar with the saying, "Necessity is the mother of invention". After this morning, I am sure that necessity gave birth to another - intention, which is convenient in that it only changes one letter. Let me explain this a little further.

Some time ago, I bought a new bike. I had every intention of going for a ride, but one thing or another got in the way. And so it sat, waiting to be taken for a spin. My intention was good but it was never realised, never put in to action.

This morning all that changed and necessity stepped in to lend a helping hand. I had misplaced my keys, so I had to drive my wife to the station with her keys and leave the car parked there as she needed her keys for work. That was fine and all sorted. We worked out our alternative actions for me without the car.

On the walk home, I of course had time to think. In the process I remembered where the keys were and decided to ride up and pick up the car, as I knew the bike rack was in the boot. Apart from having trouble with a broken air pump at one service station (another story for another time perhaps), the plan worked well. I was back at the car fairly quickly and driving back home.

The moral of this story - If you have good intentions that don't seem to be working themselves out in to action, try and work out a way to put yourself in a situation where you have no choice but to put your intentions in to action. This may be hard to arrange on your own, so you may have to enlist the help of others, but in the end we are pushing wants over to the realm of needs, where there is an added urgency to take action.

Is there something you have been wanting to do for a long time? Feel free to add to the comments. Perhaps together we can help make it happen for you. 

Until next time, keep smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment